Game Night Loaded Totchos.
Updated: Oct 8, 2019
Loaded Totchos – Crispy tater tots are covered in cheddar and Monterey jack cheeses, diced tomatoes, and drizzled with sour cream.
Hooray for the start of football season! We’re about three weeks in and I am loving every second of it. We love throwing watch parties and I'm always experimenting with quick, crowd pleasing appetizer recipes. One of our favorite tailgate snacks are tater tors covered in toppings and eaten like nachos – totchos, if you will. As such, I’ve decided to share this snack with you all so you can make it for all your watch parties, too!
Check out my Loaded Totchos!
These totchos are one of our favorite snacks because it combines so many things we love into one dish – cheese, potatoes, and sour cream. It’s almost like having a loaded baked potato, well, except for the tomatoes. But you get the idea.
These totchos are also insanely easy to make, which is a bonus. First, you cook the tots according to package instructions. I chose to bake mine to save me the trouble of frying them plus it's better-for-you that way.
My tots of choice are McCain® Veggie Taters™. McCain® Veggie Taters™ are a delicious way to get in those veggies for kids and adults alike. Everyone can use more veggies in their life, and McCain® provides this "better for you" option. it contains No artificial flavors and made with real vegetables. It's potato-based but it also includes veggies and cheese that drives flavorFun and playful way to get in veggies for the entire family. It's awesome for appetizers, side dishes, and snacks.
I have a great Checkout51 offer you can use http://cbi.as/a3gez when purchasing McCain® Veggie Taters™ at your local Wakefern, Shaw’s, and DeMoulas locations!
After cooking the McCain® Veggie Taters, lay them on a baking sheet and cover them with cheese. Then we simple put in the oven to melt the cheese and then finish them with fresh tomatoes, green onions, and a drizzle of sour cream.
This recipe is super easy to throw together. But I still think there is something to be learned from a few helpful tips that I gathered for you all:
1. I used cheese that I shredded myself. Pre-shredded cheese has anti-caking agents in it to prevent the cheese from sticking together. These agents also prevent the cheese from melting nicely so I always shred my own cheese.
2. To make the sour cream easier to drizzle, I added half and half to thin it out a little bit. But milk would also work just fine. If you don’t care about the drizzle factor, dollops of sour cream are okay!
3. I wouldn’t suggest making this ahead of time because the tots will get soggy the longer they sit. However, you can prep the cheese, and tomatoes ahead of time and assemble right before serving.
And there you have it – your new favorite tailgating treat for the football season. What other treats are you making for your tailgates? Let me know in the comments below!
Prep time 10 minutes
Cook time 20 minutes
Servings: 6 servings
2-3 boxes of McCain® Veggie Taters™ (12 ounce per box)
4 ounces cheddar cheese shredded
4 ounces Monterey Jack cheese shredded
1/2 cup diced tomato
4 green onions diced
1/3 cup sour cream
1. Cook McCain® Veggie Taters according to package instructions. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lay cooked tots onto baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
2. Sprinkle shredded cheeses over the cooked tater tots. Bake in preheated oven for 4-5 minutes, or until cheese is completely melted. Remove from oven.
3. Sprinkle McCain® Veggie Taters with diced tomatoes and green onions. Drizzle on sour cream. I added some half and half to my sour cream to thin it out a little to make it easier to drizzle. Serve immediately.