Easy Roasted Sweet Potato And Cauliflower Tacos To Celebrate National Heart Health Month.
Updated: Feb 14
Did you know that February is National Heart Health Month? It's a good time to learn more about food and lifestyle choices that help you reach personal heart health goals. To keep your heart healthy make sure to maintain good cholesterol levels through smart lifestyle choices like eating low-fat and high-fiber foods (more fresh fruits, fresh vegetables, and whole grains). You can strengthen your heart by getting at least 2 hours and 30 minutes of moderate or 1 hour and 15 minutes of vigorous physical activity a week. Maintaining a healthy weight is also an important part of keeping your heart healthy. Interesting fact- a clinical study showed Mazola® Corn Oil reduces cholesterol 2x more than extra virgin olive oil. To learn more about this claim, see Mazola.com.
The American Heart Association recently issued a new presidential advisory on dietary fats and cardiovascular disease (CVD) that strongly advised replacing saturated fat, like that found in coconut oil, with polyunsaturated fat, like corn oil, to reduce the risk of CVD by 30 percent.
To celebrate National Heart Health Month I wanted to share one of my current favorite recipes Easy Roasted Veggie Tacos served with Chipotle Cashew Crema. An easy vegan/vegetarian tacos recipe filled with easy roasted cauliflower, roasted sweet potatoes, black beans, topped with vegan chipotle lime cashew crema. These roasted sweet potato + cauliflower tacos are totally weeknight-friendly, made in 40 minutes or less, and are completely good-for-you making this the perfect vegetarian taco recipe for Taco Tuesday!
My oil of choice for this recipe is Mazola® Corn Oil . Mazola Corn Oil is an all-purpose, cholesterol free cooking oil that is a smart heart-healthy* choice for your family. *See Mazola.com for more information on the relationship between corn oil and heart health. It has a variety of uses including baking, grilling, sautéing, stir frying, or mixing up a marinade or dressing.
These roasted sweet potato + cauliflower tacos need to be added to your weekly dinner rotation STAT. They’re completely good-for-you and every single bite is completely loaded with flavor, all thanks to 3 super simple components that you can easily throw together on any weeknight.
1. The heartiest filling: roasted sweet potatoes, roasted cauliflower, & black beans.
2. My favorite easy taco fixin: smashed avocado.
3. Since life it all about the toppings: the easiest vegan chipotle lime crema.
1 small head cauliflower, cut into bite-sized florets
1 large sweet potato, diced into ½-inch cubes
1 tablespoon of Mazola® Corn Oil
1 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon Kosher salt
1 lime, juiced
1 14-ounce can black beans, drained & rinsed
chipotle lime cashew crema:
¼ cup roasted unsalted cashews
1 chipotle pepper (from a can, in adobo sauce) OR 2 teaspoons adobo sauce (from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce)
1 clove garlic
½ teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
½ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
½ cup water1 lime, juiced
1 medium avocado
1 lime, juiced
½ teaspoon Kosher salt
for taco assembly:
charred corn tortillas (see Recipe Notes)
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line 1 large baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil for easy clean up and set aside.
2. Prep the veggies: Place the cauliflower florets and diced sweet potato in a large bowl. Drizzle Mazola Corn Oil over top, then season with the chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, oregano and salt. Squeeze the lime juice over top. Toss to combine. Transfer the veggies to the prepared baking dish, arranging everything in a uniform layer, with lots of breathing room.
3. Roast the veggies for 25 minutes, giving the baking sheets a good shake about halfway through. Add the black beans to the sheet pan, seasoning with another pinch of salt, then place the pan back in the oven for 5 more minutes to heat the black beans through. Remove from the oven and set aside.
4. Prep taco assembly: Meanwhile, as the veggies roast, prep the rest of your taco fixins:
Prep the chipotle lime cashew crema: Add all listed ingredients in a high-speed blender. Blend to combine. Transfer to a bowl and set aside or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Enjoy!
Mash the avocado: Add all listed ingredients in a bowl. Use a fork to mash to your desired consistency. Set aside.
Char some tortillas: We like tortillas with a little char in our house! See Recipe Notes for a run-down on how we do it.
5. Assemble the roasted veggie tacos: Smear some mashed avocado on each tortilla. Top with a generous scoop of roasted veggies. Drizzle some chipotle lime cashew crema over top. Finish with some freshly chopped cilantro. Enjoy!
Check out Mazola for more delicious recipe ideas.